I know I talk a lot about food. It is a particular passion of mine. But today I’d like to talk about water.
A couple of weeks ago, I saw an article in London’s Time Out magazine for a new organisation called Give Me Tap. Give Me Tap sells reusable stainless steel water bottles for rehydrating on the go, encourages local restaurants and shops to fill them for free (there’s even a phone app to find your closest water source), and donates proceeds from the sales of the bottles to help communities in Africa gain better access to safe water. That’s a win-win-win situation!
In case you still need to be convinced, here are my five top reasons for drinking tap water:
- It’s free. Well practically. And in these days of economic austerity, why on earth would we pay good money for a resource that is virtually free? That’s a no brainer.
- It’s good for you. We all need to be hydrated and most of us drink a lot more water now than we did years ago, because we know it’s good for us. But tap water is especially good for us, versus fancy bottled water, because tap water is tested regularly by the government bodies who regulate it, and who ensure it is safe and healthy to drink. Municipal water testing happens around the clock, 365 days a year. Bottled water doesn’t have the same regulations.
- Bottled water is wasteful. In this day and age, we all know why food and drink in disposable containers is bad for the environment. All that plastic has to go somewhere, and we’re running out of room. If you’re already saying no to that unnecessary plastic bag, start saying no to other unnecessary plastic in your life. A reusable water bottle just makes sense.
- Most of us are privileged to live in places with such healthy water. My uncle is a civil engineer who specializes in water systems, and he has been saying this for years. People in other parts of the world would very much like to have as much access to the safe abundant water we can take for granted.
- Tap water is fashionable. Restaurants are starting to get on this bandwagon and proudly offer tap water to their guests. And with a wide range of beautiful water bottles from Give Me Tap, and other great companies, available on the market in a wide variety of colours and patterns, you can join the ranks of eco-conscious fashionistas by toting the new must have accessory of the year!